Monday 18 June 2012

Interview with Mary Sembera

For those of you waiting to hear contest results, I just want to let you know I'll post the winner as soon as Natalie makes her decision. Should be sometime this week. Stay tuned!


Happy Monday, everyone. Today we're talking with author Mary Sembera about her Rennillia series.

Welcome, Mary! Tell us a bit about yourself.


Half Scotch Irish and Half Italian, I was born in Louisiana and now live in Texas. My husband loves me and my three kids keep me on my toes.
How long have you been writing?

Really all my life, as a kid I would write little stories and give them to my mom. However it wasn't until I was a senior in high school and had to write a short story that I fell in love with it.
Tell us about RENNILLIA, A TANGLED WEB, and A TURNING POINT.

Rennillia (book1) begins with Ren running away from an abusive relationship. As she struggles with the decisions she has made she finds her friends, Emerson, Jackson, and Hert are far more devoted to her than she realized. Unable to keep her reason for leaving a secret she formulates a plan for the future and ends up with more than she planned for.

In A Tangled Web (book2) unwelcome and devastating information about their past causes Ren to rethink her plans.

In A Turning Point (book3) Ren begrudgingly takes on the role of 'the right wife' trying to live up to everything she feels is expected of her. Slowly realizing things will never be the same, she faces a harsh heartbreaking reality.
Wow, intense! How did the idea of the stories come to you?

The first book started out as a continuation of my short story 'The Sun Still Shines' (about a couple breaking up), but honestly after 15 years my outlook on things had changed so much, I decided to develop the stories as I write them.
Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

I have a little circle of people. My mom reads the chapters as I complete them, my sister in law checks my spelling and punctuation and my close friend reads the completed draft before I submit it for publishing.
Are you a planner or a pantser?

I would say I am a planner, but that would be such a lie!
LOL! If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Teleportation! I hate driving.
What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

Hmm, I don't think I have googled anything wierd, but I do have a habit of googling myself and my husband says that's wierd.
That's not weird at all. (I do it, too!) Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: paranoid, telepathy, and jumper cables.

Using jumper cables to induce telepathy will leave you paranoid.
LOL, simple. Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

I am incredibly thankful to my husband Phillip, for sharing me with my characters; my parents, for always supporting my creativity; my sister in law Charity, for keeping my writing in check; and my #1 fan Nicole who is insanely devoted to The Series. The very Talented Douglass Griffin writes and records the music for my book trailers. My Big Helpers Katelynn, Paul II, and Mayo are awesome!
And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

The Official Website for The Rennillia Series is www.Rennillia.com
My books are available at Barnes&Noble, Amazon and through most Bookstores.

Thank you so much for stopping by and chatting with us, Mary! Good luck with your books!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Dorothy! It was a pleasure to be interviewed by you.

Dorothy Dreyer said...

My pleasure, Mary! :)