Thursday 18 April 2013

Interview with Marissa Carmel

Here's a question for our readers: How many books do you read at once? At the moment, I'm reading three. But my to-read list is a million miles long. And after chatting with author Marissa Carmel about her book GRAVITATIONAL PULL, I have another one to add to the list.

Marissa Carmel is originally from NJ but moved to Maryland several years ago, she enjoys reading, writing, and catching up on her ever growing DVR library.

Welcome to We Do Write, Marissa.

Thank you so much for hosting me!

My pleasure. How long have you been writing? 

It’s been too long to remember! It’s something I’ve always done.

I absolutely love the cover of GRAVITATIONAL PULL. What’s the story about? 

Thank you! GP is book 2 in the Vis Vires trilogy; it picks up right where iFeel left off, Liv trying to deal with her newfound powers, her ancient bloodline that puts her life in danger and her challenging relationship with Justice; a fiery angel who adopts the task of protecting Liv, the last Vis Vires on earth. My stories are very character driven, but I think there is a good mix of action, drama and humor as well.

How did the idea of the story come to you? 

It’s really a drawn out daydream, and the more I let my imagination run with it the more I knew I had to put the story on paper.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit? 

I don’t have beta readers, but my editor is a huge help in the critique department. I hope to have my next books read by beta’s though. They are a really good tool to have.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? 

A little bit of both. I do draft an outline, but I find letting the writing unfold as I go really encourages the creativity to come out.

Very true. What’s the hardest part of writing for you? 

Editing and time management!

Time management? What's that? ;) What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing? 

A cup of coffee and my iPhone.

If you could have any super power, what would it be? 

Telekinesis. I would love to just wave a finger and have my house cleaned!

That sounds like a wonderful power. Where do I sign up? ;) What's the weirdest thing you've googled? 

I’m a fantasy writer there are to many to mention!

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: pull, loop, and predator. 

You pull with force, loop around then obligingly stab the predator dead.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ... 

with my husband and kids.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

To Kitty Bullard, my fearless publisher. Matthew Taylor, my opinionated editor, and my husband Danny, who keeps count of all the voices in my head!

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?



And here's an excerpt!

As we dance, glitter falls all around us. Enchanting the dream-like atmosphere, but I can’t escape the music’s haunting melody, and the reality that reminds me of the truth, that I’m not undamaged. I just desperately try to pretend.
“I could dance like this with you forever,” Siberian whispers as he pulls me tighter.
There it is again, that word, forever. I despise it, mainly because, to me, it pertains more to a prison sentence than anything else.
“I’d get old after a while,” I say with my cheek pressed hopelessly against him.
“I know that would never be true.” He slides his hands up my body to my face and stares down at me with glossy silver eyes. “I would like nothing more than for you to stay here with me Liv. I can give you everything you could ever want, all your heart’s desires.”
I stare back at him silently. As tender, and as terrifying, as that proclamation is, my heart only desires one thing, and right now, he is standing across the courtyard, shooting me a demonic stare.
This is wrong, this is so so wrong, parading myself like this in front of Justice. But I just can’t pull myself away. Siberian’s searing gaze has me, and I want so much to just get lost in the moment, to feel his touch. I put my hands over his and brace for his lips, allowing him to have me, if only for a second. Then suddenly I jump: I’ve just been energy checked right in the gut.




No comments: