Starting a New Writing Project: Tips and Links
|Project Management Clip Art Free|
In the spirit of inspired beginnings here is a podcast series, a YouTube, and websites I used recently to help me get ready to start my new project. Yes, I’ve turned in REACH FOR YOU (Dark Heart series book 3) to my editor and have just begun a totally new series!
1. Narrative breakdown—this is an amazing and ongoing series with hosts Cheryl Klein and James Monahan as well as guest co-hosts, such as Rainbow Rowell and E. Lockhart. Covers a wide range of writing topics, including many that will help with developing story ideas.
2. Difference between mystery and suspense—One of the problems I have when beginning a story is making sure I choose a beginning that matches the genre I’m aiming for. This link and the next are excellent for focusing on that issue.
3. Tons of inspiration here--even if romance is secondary and not the focus of your project.
4. Building a fictional world. A TED-ed talk by Kate Messner. This short talk is purely for fun—and it’s a great reminder about world building no matter what genre you write.
5. One of the best ways to build your main characters is to take the core elements you know about them, then give each character a Myers-Briggs test. Here’s a quick basic test. https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test Afterwards you can use the test results to spark plot ideas, such as what situation would be the most challenging for your main character. http://psychologyjunkie.com/2015/08/02/how-each-mbti-type-reacts-to-stress-and-how-to-help/
6. Writing a killer opening line. Great inspiration, but remember you’re about to write a first draft. Chances are the first sentence you write will not be the one you end up with after revision. However, this article applies to more than that single sentence and is worth a read.
7. And, as a bonus, the secrets to writing a bestselling novel--because why not start with a positive attitude.
So, now that I’ve shared some of my favorite links, how about you? Do you have websites or places you go for inspiration when starting a new project?
BEYOND YOUR TOUCH (Dark Heart series book 2)
She wants more than he can promise.
His desires could lead to betrayal.
But without each other, neither can survive the dangers ahead.
Annie Freemont knows this isn’t the right time to get involved with a man like Chase. After years of distrust, she’s finally drawing close to her estranged family, and he’s an employee on their estate in Maine. Though she never intended to stay on the estate for long, her father’s illness and the mysteries surrounding her family made leaving impossible. And now with the newfound hope of rescuing her long-missing mother, Annie’s determined to be involved with the family’s plans one way or another.
If only she could keep her mind off Chase and focus on the impending rescue. But there’s something about the enigmatic Chase that she can’t resist. And she’s not the only woman. Annie fears a seductive stranger who is key to safely freeing her mother is also obsessed with him. As plans transform into action and time for a treacherous journey into a strange world draws near, every move Annie makes will test the one bond she’s trusted with her secrets, her desires—and her heart.
About the Author
PAT ESDEN is an antique-dealing florist by trade. She’s also a member of Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, Romance Writers of America, and the League of Vermont Writers. Her short stories have appeared in a number of publications, including Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show, the Mythopoeic Society’s Mythic Circle literary magazine, and George H. Scither’s anthology Cat Tales.
The first two books in her paranormal Dark Heart series, A HOLD ON ME and BEYOND YOUR TOUCH are available from Kensington Books. REACH FOR YOU (book #3 Dark Heart series) is coming in 2017.