Tuesday 19 July 2011

Interview with Tricia Merritt and Brad Gallaway

Today I'm going to double your fun by doing a double interview. Earlier this year, I was asked to take a look at a novel called REMEMBER TOMORROW by Tricia Merritt and Brad Gallaway. The story has a great voice, and the time-travel element kept me turning the page to find out what was going to happen next. There's also a steamy scene for those who enjoy a little schmexy in a novel. It's definitely a book for those looking for a fantasy-edged thriller.

I had the honor of talking with the authors, so let's see what they have to say.

Welcome to We Do Write, Brad and Tricia! Great to have you here. How long have you each been writing?

TM: I’ve been writing since childhood. My first professional success came about 14 years ago, when I sold my first short story.

BG: I also been writing since I was a kid. I won a “young writers” contest in third grade, and I've been chipping away at it ever since. However, getting into fiction is fairly recent for me... most of my writing efforts have been in reviewing video games and editing the work of my writing staff.

Tell our readers about REMEMBER TOMORROW.

TM: I’d call it a sexy, smart time-travel thriller. It’s meant to be a fun read but there’s also some substance to it: the universe we created has rules. This isn’t a case of time travel being an all-purpose deus ex machina. We set the story in Hong Kong and Seattle, which are cities we know very well.

BG: I agree with that, but for me, it was also about tackling time-travel in a way that a "normal person" would. Rather than the main character having all the pat answers, or being able to breeze through the challenges before her, it was really important to me to have her be human and relatable.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

TM: I think the idea came from a number of sources. I was walking across a snowy field in Korea, listening to Nine Inch Nails on my iPod. The song “Beside You in Time” came on, and it occurred to me that it would be fun to write a book like this. Brad and I decided to use the Tricia Merritt pen name because I am already something of a known quantity in a certain genre. I wanted people to come to the book with absolutely no preconceptions.

BG: Tricia had the original concept and the idea to write it as a team, and I was happy to jump aboard. Although I don't want to say that I came up with a certain thing, or that Tricia came up with a certain thing, I think our styles were a good balance for each other and hopefully they will blend together in a way that's enjoyable to the reader.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

TM: Finding the time to do it. I have a day job and I also run a small business on the side. With so much on my plate, getting into the right frame of mind has become exceedingly tough. I have a hard time calming my monkey-mind down enough for the words to come. It’s not that I lack ideas—I don’t—but creating a space for them is the hard part these days.

BG: My answer is the same. I have a regular day job that pays my bills (in theory, anyway) and I do my work with games writing at night. Despite this, I used to be able to work in an hour or two of fiction a night with no problem, but now that I've got kids in the house, it's a real challenge.

Let’s get to know you each on a deeper level. What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

TM: Nothing talismanic, if that’s what you mean. I need my laptop, of course. My cat likes to hang out nearby while I’m working, to keep an eye on me. That works two ways, because if he’s in sight it means he’s not in another room destroying something! Sometimes a glass (or two) of wine helps.

BG: The only things I need are a quiet room and a headset. I tend to do most of my writing through a verbal dictation program in order to save my hands the wear and tear of pounding away on a keyboard, so give me some silence and a place to talk to myself, and I'm happy.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

TM: Telekinesis, absolutely. Think of the X-men’s Jean Grey.

BG: For me, it would probably be something a little more pedestrian... something like the ability to summon piles of cash out of thin air, or the power to eat hyper-fatty food without destroying my cardiovascular system.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

TM: I’d just like to thank the people who’ve already taken a chance on this book, as well as Brad, for taking a chance on writing it with me.

BG: I'd like to thank Tricia for being a constant encouragement when it was needed, and I'd especially like to thank my wife Gina for being as supportive as anyone could possibly be.

And finally, where can people find you online?

BG: My next book is still in the works all that is due to be published soon, but in the meantime, anyone who wants to read more of my other writings can find me talking video games at http://www.gamecritics.com, or at my personal blog, http://drinkingcoffeecola.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for chatting with us, Brad and Tricia. Good luck with your book, and be sure to let us know when the next one is out.

1 comment:

Clara Gillow Clark said...

Congratulations to Tricia & Brad! Brad, I was delighted to hear that you won a young author writing contest in 3rd grade. I speak at Young Author Conferences and hold a writing contest for grades 4-8 on my blog every year, and it's wonderful to hear that those early writing attempts and recognition can be the catalyst. Wishing you continued success!