Wednesday 12 June 2013

Interview with Dorothy Dreyer!

Okay, I have been dying to do this since Dorothy asked me to join her as a contributor to this blog. So, forgive me if I use one too many exclamation points and randomly jump into caps. Today I get to interview one talented author: my crit partner, pub sister, and friend, DOROTHY DREYER!!

I can't really say welcome, since this is your blog, so how about I just jump right in. Tell us a little about yourself, Dorothy, and your publishing journey.

I'm a Philipine-born American living in Germany with my husband and two teens. I enjoy reading, writing, movies, takeout, chocolate, and spending time with my family and friends. I tend to sing and crochet as well.

I've been writing for as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until about five years ago that I became serious about it. Probably the age thing. I figured I better get one of my dreams realized before I got too old. I'd written three books before My Sister's Reaper, but they didn't quite make the cut in the eyes of agents. Luckily, the wonderful Georgia McBride found my little story and helped me put it out in the world.

I'm so glad Georgia McBride found you! My Sister's Reaper deserves a place on the shelves. It's a fantastic story, filled with humor, heart, and a touch of horror. Tell us a bit about the story.

My Sister's Reaper is a young adult urban fantasy/paranormal/horror about a girl who accidentally brings her sister back to life, which peeves off a Reaper who is determined to claim the soul he believes belongs to him.

Creepy. In My Sister's Reaper, you take witches and faeries, turn them upside down and force them to have babies (literally). The result is the Vila, a half-breed race of witch-fairies with the power to influence things like fire, water, air... and death. What was your inspiration? Where did you come up with your unique ideas?

In the very beginning, I was toying with the idea of witches. In particular, I imagined a girl who didn't know she was a witch but had the power to control things. Somehow, the idea of faeries came into play, and I created a mash-up. I hadn't seen the mix before and decided to run with it. I'm not sure where my ideas come from, but the voices in my head tell me not to worry about it too much. ;)

Many writers face challenges throughout their journey to publication (insecurity, rejection, integrating real life with writing). What challenges have you faced? How did you conquer them?

I think writers are naturally insecure. The funny thing is, we probably have to have the thickest skin ever just to get by in the publishing industry. I'm constantly doubting myself, wondering when someone's going to call me out and say, "Hey, what makes you think you belong here doing this writing gig?" At those times, I just have to force myself to hold my head up and believe in myself. Even just a little.

At the moment, my biggest challenge is time. I do try to manage my time between work, family, and writing. Oh, and sleep—whatever that is. What would be really great (besides becoming a full-time writer) is to have four extra hours in a day: two to write without interruption, and two to catch a nap.

Time is always lacking! I started a campaign, a few months ago, to add three hours to each day. I keep hoping the Powers That Be will take me seriously someday.  Now, on to the fun questions I bet you've been dying to answer since you started this blog:

What must you have close by when you write?

Quiet. There can be faint noises in the background, like my kids watching TV or playing video games, but I can't concentrate if there's too much noise. That's why I don't write to music, even though I love music.

What is the strangest thing you've Googled?

It's not really strange, but I'm sure it would get me on some watch list. It was whether or not a living person would sink or float if they were thrown into a lake unconscious.

He-he... If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Mind control. Having two teens is reason enough, believe me. But it would come in handy when there are long lines in the grocery store, or if I was stuck behind an extremely slow driver, or if I really wanted hubby to make dinner, or if I needed an extra day off of work or a raise.

Oh, I have two teens of my own. I know. Use the following words in a sentence: trellis, ginger, oven

The pixie flitted around the rose trellis, making her way to the open window, toward the inviting smell of gingerbread cookies toasting in the oven.

Yum! Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm...

working, helping with homework, or avoiding housework.

Who would you like to thank for supporting you during your journey to publication?


My husband and kids, most of all, for their support and excitement. My extended family, for being so encouraging. All my wonderful friends for cheering me on. You (Beth) and Sarah Howell for helping me shape my stories. And Georgia McBride and the Month9Books family for being so awesome.

It's been my pleasure!

My Sister's Reaper is out NOW!!! in e-book form and will be in print June 18th! Congratulations, Dorothy! I am over the moon with excitement for you!

3 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Ooh, peeving off a reaper....not good, by the sounds of it. LOL I've heard tons about Dorothy's book. She's a sweetie. Many congrats to her!!

Dorothy Dreyer said...

Thanks!!! ^_^

Gina said...

Way to go Dorothy! Much deserved time in the spotlight and if I might say so myself, it's only just begun. ^_^ Bask in it my friend...it's all you.