Wednesday 19 January 2011

Interview with Candice James

Today we're talking with a prestigious member of the writing community. I'm sure you'll all be delighted to meet her and learn more about her work. Let's welcome Candice James.

Hi, Candice. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I am the Poet Laureate for the City of New Westminster BC CANADA and a full member of The League Of Canadian Poets; The British Columbia Writers Federation, and founder and creator of "Poetic Justice" a weekly poetry reading series and "Slam Central" a bi-weekly spoken word performance poetry series.

Wow, sounds like you've got your hands full. How long have you been writing?

I've started writing at a very young age and have been writing for over 40 years.

Tell us about your newest book, INNER HEART - A JOURNEY.

INNER HEART - A Journey, published by Silver Bow Publishing 2010 is a poetry collection of 100 pages devoted to the eternal timeless theme of love. It touches on both the agony of heartbreak and the ecstasy of soul mates. This book can be purchased online at www.wix.com/silverbowpublishing/silver-bow-publishing.

What's the hardest part of writing for you?

The most difficult part of writing for me is to try to get through a poem without somebody interrupting my flow while I'm writing. Also, writing is more difficult when I write within a structured form instead of free verse. I suppose the poetic form SESTINA is the most difficult structure to adhere to, followed by the sonnet. However, I do enjoy writing these types of poetry, although free verse is my main form of poetic writing. When I'm looking for a challenge, I write a Sonnet, and when I'm looking for a super challenge, I write a Sestina.

Who are your inspirations?

The great Oscar Wilde has been a huge influence on my writing, as have been T.S. Eliot, W.H. Auden, Leonard Cohen, Rod McKuen, Michael Drayton, Edmund Spenser, Edward Henley, Elizabeth Barrett Browining, and of course the fabulous sonnet spinner William Shakespeare. Favorite poems are, "The Ballad Of Reading Gaol", by Oscar Wilde, "The Hollow Men" by T.S. Eliot and "Funeral Blues" by W.H. Auden. These poets are my influences, but my inspiration is usually a deeply felt emotion for someone or something in my life at the time. People and things come and go in our lives and it's not by accident. I believe it's by divine appointment.

Let's get to know you on a deeper level. What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

I always like to have my cell phone and a can of pop or some kind of drink to whet my whistle so to speak as I sit at my computer and type the mindstream onto the screen.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

There are so many super powers I would absolutely love to have, but if limited to only one I would like to have the super power of mind control over others and the option to use it if and when I chose to. Wow, what a wonderful world my world would be if I had that super power! Not that it's not wonderful now, but it would just become a little bit more wonderful!

Finally, someone who thinks like me. Mind control would totally be my choice as well.(Not that I'm all that selfish - I've got a teen and a preteen in the house. That's enough reason, believe me!)


Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: flood, fireworks, and pancake batter.

I like to flood my mind with emotional fireworks and taste the sweet residue of their phantom pancake batter.

Wow, you really are a poet! Awesome. Here's the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

There are so many that I'm bound to leave some people out, so I apologize in advance for anyone I should have mentioned here but didn't. I'd like to thank Ken Ader, Don Benson, Laura Schultz, Alexandra Zlotnik, Franci Louann, Ariadne Sawyer, Ruth Kozak, Nancy Denofio, Michael Sullivan, Hector and Virginia Bremner, and I could go on forever here, but will stop the list here and extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone else who has been instrumental in helping me reach the point I'm at today.

And finally, where can people find you online?

I have 3 websites and 3 facebook sites. I hope you'll click on them and enjoy the poetry, music, and videos!


WEBSITES:
POET LAUREATE WEBSITE http://saddlestone.shawwebspace.ca
CANDICE JAMES POET WEBSITE http://candicejames.shawwebspace.ca
CANDICE JAMES VIDEOPOEMS AND VIDEOS www.youtube.com/saddlestone11


FACEBOOK PAGES:
POET LAUREATE FACEBOOK PAGE
http://www.facebook.com/people/Candice-James/100000085021617#!/pages/Candice-James-Poet-Laureate-New-Westminster-BC/110819482308440
CANDICE JAMES FACEBOOK PAGE
http://www.facebook.com/people/Candice-James/100000085021617#!/profile.php?id=100000085021617
CANDICE JAMES SONGWRITER MUSICIAN FACEBOOK PAGE
http://www.facebook.com/people/Candice-James/100000085021617#!/pages/Candice-James-Songwriter-Bass-Guitarist/156859754352277

Candice, thank you so much for letting us get to know you. I'm sure all our poetry-lovers will be looking for your book now.

4 comments:

Heather Hellmann said...

Mmmm, phantom pancake batter. I love reading author interviews. It's so interesting hearing about other people's writing lives.

Zoe said...

I like the writing test answer, very well done. Thanks for the interview, ladies!

Unknown said...

Great interview! I'd opt for mind control too. And what an amazing writing test answer.

Gina said...

Poetry is in a class by itself. Usually so emotional and personal in nature, they can really move you like nothing else. Some great inspirations listed there...and wow, mind control as your super power... O_O. (lol) AWESOME job on the writing test....one of my absolute favorites. Thanks for sharing a look into your poetic view on live...and thanks Dorothy for another great interview.