Monday 31 January 2011

Pay it Forward

I love "Pay it Forward." It's such a great concept for every part of life. Today I'm paying it forward as part of a contest being held on Shelli Johannes's blog. I'm excited for the opportunity (for both taking part in the contest AND being able to honor someone special), so let's get right to it.

Writers tend to be busy people—even busier once they have deadlines to get their manuscript edited for a publisher and sequels to write. Which is why I was so touched by the generosity of Susanne Winnacker. You may know Susanne from  the very popular GotYA, or from her own blog and website, or maybe you've seen her around Absolute Write. In any case, if you've come into contact with her, you'll know she's a gem of a person.

She's got what it takes as a writer, no question about that. She's represented by Julia Churchill of Greenhouse Literary, and her debut novel THE OTHER LIFE will be published by Usborne UK in Spring 2012 as well as Marshall Cavendish in Fall 2012. Back before she was agented, I read an excerpt of her novel in a contest and was immediately drawn to the story. I can't wait to get the book and read the whole thing!


And just as a side note, she and her husband just celebrated their 9th year of marriage. Congratulations!


With everything Susanne's got going on, you'd think her plate was too full to take on another project. Yet when I started looking for beta readers for my current manuscript, the wonderful Susanne stepped forward. She's a magnificent beta reader, and with the experience she has as an agented and soon-to-be-published writer I'm very confident taking her advice. I feel very lucky to have her helping me out.


Thank you, Susanne, for being so awesome!

6 comments:

Gina said...

What a wonderful 'Pay It Forward' post. You can truly feel that the sentiments are heartfelt. Thanks for sharing Dorothy...and congratulations to Susanne and her husband on the anniversary.

Christine L. Arnold said...

What a lovely post. Also, I loved your pitch on Shelli's blog! You really captured the voice and the story in that short space - very impressive! It's definitely something I would want to read.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

OMG I love this post! :) that was so sweet!

Dorothy Dreyer said...

@Gina: Thank you! I really feel like I've hit the beta reader lottery with Susanne. She's such an awesome person.

@Christine: Aw, you're so nice to say so. I like your entry too! :)

@Shelli: Thank you so much! I feel blessed to have Susanne, and I'm so glad you gave me the opportunity to pay it forward to her. :D

Jessie Harrell said...

lovely post - and I really enjoyed your pitch on Shelli's blog. Sounds like a fun read!

Jun said...

Hey! Your post is inspiring. We are paying it forward too. =) It's a wonderful concept, especially with social media involved! It becomes even more powerful. Thanks for the post!

We're paying it forward, check it out if you can! http://bit.ly/5hotcities