Tuesday 6 September 2011

Interview with Rhys Bowen

My next guest is a delightful writer who has written a very interesting spy series. Let's jump right into the interview and get to know Rhys Bowen and her books.

Hello, Rhys! Tell us a bit about yourself.

Born and raised in England, lived in many places before settling in California. I'm married to a fellow Brit. We've four children and 5 grandchildren. We love to travel and now live in Arizona in the winter.

How long have you been writing?

I've been a professional writer all my life--last 15 years specializing in mysteries, my favorite reads.

Tell us about the Royal Spyness series, and in particular, about NAUGHTY IN NICE.

I wanted to write a series that was fun,funny, suspenseful and a little romantic. So Lady Georgiana is 34th in line to the English throne in the 1930s but her branch of the family is penniless. She's trying to make her own way during the Great Depression while those around her still live the life of the rich and famous. In Naughty in Nice the queen sends her on a secret assignment to the Riviera, to recover a stolen snuffbox. Her adventures include modeling for Chanel, flirting with a dashing marquis and finding a body. Lots of fun and I love including real people... Mrs. Simpson and the Prince of Wales, for example.


This book has already received a starred review from Publisher's Weekly and is a RT Reviews top pick so it's off to a good start.

Sounds awesome! What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Not the ideas. They are lining up to be used. It's juggling the whole promotional part with my writing time.

Interesting, and an aspect I'm sure many aspiring authors don't often think about. Any tips you’ve learned about writing you’d like to share?

Yes--only write a book to please yourself. Your book has to read as if you're having a good time writing it.


And work on writing the best book of which you are able. The rest will happen.

Great tip. Let’s get to know you on a deeper level. What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

My toys--wind up teeth, a couple of tops to spin, Egdar bobblehead and more. I need an excuse to stop and play when things are getting tense.

LOL, truly an original answer. If you could have any super power, what would it be?

To bring about world peace? End hunger? Actually it would be cool to be able to fly.

Quick writing test! Use the following words in a sentence: parchment, glowing, and antelope.

"And our specail tonight," the chef said, waving at the glowing embers of a barbecue, "is antelope haunch in parchement."

LOL, ew. Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

This could be as long as my novels: my family who have been so supportive. My agents Meg and Christina. My editor Jackie Cantor and publicist Kaitlyn Kennedy. May amazing SEO guru Terry Kate. All my writing friends in the mystery community--they are the most amazing warm and nurturing bunch. My Facebook friends and finally the ones I owe most too--my fans. If they didn't read my books and tell others about them, I'd still be at step one.

And finally, where can people find you online?

My website is www.rhysbowen.com.
My blogs are www.rhysbowen.blogspot.com
and www.jungleredwriters.com

I'm on Facebook and Twitter and love to hear from my readers.

Thanks so much for chatting with us, Rhys. I look forward to reading your series. Good luck with the new book!

Thank you for a fun interview!

No comments: