Monday 10 December 2012

Interview with Airicka Phoenix

Today we're chatting with author Airicka Phoenix about her novel TOUCHING SMOKE.

Welcome to We Do Write, Airicka. Tell us a bit about yourself.

Well, my name is Airicka Phoenix. I'm the mother of four incredible babies (five if you include the dog). I write like some people breathe. I'm a little obsessed with books, chocolate and really bad jokes. Sarcasm is my first language. I hate red smarties. Shoes are God's gift to women. A sense of humor is a must if you're around me and I bite my nails, although I'll never admit it out loud.

How long have you been writing?

Since the 3rd grade, but only started getting my writing out there this year (2012).

Tell us about TOUCHING SMOKE. What’s the story about?

Touching Smoke is about secrets and a girl's collision into the world of love and hate and the obsession that goes with both. Fallon is a sixteen-year-old girl with a past drenched in shadows and lies. When she finally learns what she is, her world is already crumbling and her existence becomes a risk when she learns she was created to destroy.

How did the idea of the story come to you?

Amalie came to me while I was writing another story. Originally, Touching Smoke was written through Amalie's point of view and the plot was a whole lot more different. But then Fallon squeezed her way in and I couldn't stop her.

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

I have a critique group and several beta readers. I don't know what I would do without them.

Are you a planner or a pantser?

Depends on what it is. With my writing, I am a planner.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

I think it's finding time to write with four kids and life outside of my imagination.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

Chocolate and my notes.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Reading minds. I know it's cliche, but I always wonder what people are thinking. lol.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

How to tell the difference between a male and female Mollie Fish. LOL

Quick writing test! Use the following words in one sentence: philosophy, peacock, and peculiar.

Peacocks have a strange philosophy when it comes to fanning their feathers and it's usually quite peculiar in my way of thinking.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ...

If I'm not writing, I'm probably hanging out with my kids. They have the most insane imaginations and I love dabbling in their world as often as I can.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

Oh my goodness where do I even begin!? I have been blessed with so many incredible friends... okay.

My Street Team Girls: Ambersupernatural AndYareviews, Tamara Beard, Karla Ileana Calzada, Nikki Archer, Leslie Paige Dover, Mandy Ireadindie , Brianna Lee Reviews, Krystal Marlein, Cassie Chavez, Crystal Bozeman Clifton, Kristina Snyder, Emily Walker, Amber Shelly, & Hannah Membrey

My Huntresses: Susan Griscom, Amber Shelly, Brianna Lee Reviews, Ambersupernatural AndYareviews, Krystal Clearbook Reviews, Mandy Ireadindie, Paranormal Angel blog, Ever and Ever Sight, Kristina Snyder, Read Between The Lines, Book Addict, Kaidans Seduction, Just me myself and I, Reading with Anacrasia, Carlyle Labuschagne, Cynthia Shepp, Hannah Membrey, Patricia Macias, Mandee At CompelledbyWords, The Seraphine Muse, Melissa Andrea, Release the pages, Emily Walker, Karla Ileana Calzada, Cameo Renae, Sallie's Book Reviews and More and Dana's YA Bookpile.

My girls: Brigitte Hernandez, Constance Dalrymple, Momo Xiong, Kelly Kinard, Nicole Lubatti, Summer Day, Summer Lane, A Belle's Tales Book-Reviews, Kimberley Richert-McInroy, Nancy Straight.

And so many more. If I've forgotten you, please know I didn't mean to! I do love and appreciate you so very much!

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

Lulu: http://www.lulu.com/shop/airicka-phoenix/touching-smoke/paperback/product-20386269.html
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Touching-Smoke-Touch-Book-ebook/dp/B008RB72NW
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/208503
Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Touching-Smoke-Touch-Series-Book/book-rymgPnYnBEeuCLRBpaNfQw/page1.html?s=Y7-rP6DGwEKtlr4XDVsOpA&r=1
All Romance Ebooks: https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-touchingsmoketouchseriesbook1-907800-140.html

Website: http://airickaphoenix.com/Author/?cat=10
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AirickaPhoenix (@AirickaPhoenix)
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/airicka.phoenix
Goodread: http://www.goodreads.com/AirickaPhoenix

Thanks for chatting with us today, Airicka. Good luck with your books!

Thank you so much for having me! I had so much fun answering your questions!

2 comments:

CL's Musings said...

Great interview! I am so lucky to be mentioned! <3 you Airicka!:)

A Belle’s Tales said...

Wonderful interview! Airicka is such a gem - love that lady! I feel so honored to have been mentioned. <3