Monday 28 November 2011

Getting to Know Shelli Johannes

Tomorrow is the release date of Shelli Johannes's debut novel UNTRACEABLE. I'm very excited for Shelli. She's a fabulous author and a great person to know. So let's get to know her and her book better!

Welcome, Shelli! And congratulations on your book launch. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I have am MBA in marketing and worked in corporate America for over 15 years doing marketing, communication, and training. I walked off the job in 2006 and have been doing freelance marketing ever since. I own my own marketing company and have worked with Spanx and Goody Hair. I have a hubby from England, 2 kids and a Goldendoodle.

How long have you been writing?

I started right after I had my daughter in 2004. I always say she sat on something. I think since I had 4 months off maternity leave – I started writing while she was napping and couldn’t stop. I hadn’t written much before that. But when I was little I used to write all the time.

Let's hear about UNTRACEABLE. What’s the story about?

It is a wilderness thriller (contemporary) with a missing forest ranger father, a mystery, a kick butt heroine, and 2 really hot boys.

Perfect combination! How did the idea of the story come to you?

I loved and read James Patterson when I was a teen. Since then I have always wanted to do a James Patterson for teens. A contemporary thriller in the midst of paranormal and dystopic books. It started out as a story about terrorism in our homeland (shakes head and blushes from total embarrassment). I read a story about a terrorism cell hiding in the wilderness. It has obviously evolved since then b/c it is no longer about terrorism – AT ALL! Thank goodness.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Well, first it is staying focused. I’m a stay at home mom but I do freelance on the side plus have 2 kids so getting a block of time.

But from a writing perspective – I’m good at plotting but voice comes hard for me. It takes me a while to flush out the voice and heart of a story.

Any tips you’ve learned about writing you’d like to share?

Learn the craft. Keep writing. Be persistent. And write the story in your heart. I’ve tried to follow the market before and it was a disaster.

So true; the market is constantly changing. Let’s get to know you on a deeper level. What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

Sweet tea or coffee – see a pattern?

Source:
Super Librarian
NJlibraries.org
If you could have any super power, what would it be?

To write a bestseller in a day!

That sounds like an awesome super power to me! Quick writing test -- Use the following words in a sentence: rubber band, trapeze, and clergy.

The clergy pulled the man off of his trapeze and pushed the man to his knees. One man stepped forward and popped him in the head with a rubber band. “Tell us where the bearded lady is and we will let you live.”

Man, I am sick.

That was a great image though, lol. Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

Oh gosh. Awwwwkwaaaard. This could take a while so I’ll shorten it (though my acknowledgments are 2 pages in my book. I am so grateful to all the bloggers, and indie authors, and my writing buddies for supporting me over the years. I’m so thankful to my hubby for believing in me when I was down and out – he never gave up on me.


But especially to Kimberly Derting http://kimberlyderting.com/
for loving this book enough to offer a blurb because she knew I would never ask. But most of all – she still insisted I use it even after I decided to indie publish. Kim stood by me when others didn’t and believed in my writing and Grace.

And finally, where can people find you and your book online?

It is on Amazon, B&N and Smashwords for other ebook formats. You can get it in ebook or paperback.

Shelli, thanks so much for letting us get to know you and your book. I wish you a wonderful book launch and lots of success with all your writing endeavors!

3 comments:

E. Arroyo said...

Awesome interview and great book!

jenny milchman said...

I cannot wait to read this book! James Patterson by a woman--perfect!!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

im not saying I AM a female James patterson but I would like to be :)

thx for stopping by the tour!