Thursday 26 September 2013

Review: Hunted: Cycle Thirteen Book 1, by Jill Kaelin


Way way back, many centuries ago, possibly as early as the 1980s, but I'm not sure I want to admit to my venerable age, I used to watch The Last Unicorn. I loved the notion of this fabled species and the unicorn who looked like a woman, and her battle to save her species from extinction. It augmented an already solid love for unicorns. Yes, I had the full unicorns bedding ensamble, including the canopy. I don't know how many times I've watched Legend, just for the unicorns. I grew up loving stories that contained them, but as a rule, they were high fantasy or written for children. Unicorns in YA are not exactly the most common thing. Angels? Yep. Vampires? Sure thing. Witches? You betcha. Dystopian futurism with technological wonderment? Whole shelves at the library. Unicorns? Not so much, well, except maybe Harry Potter. So, when I had the opportunity to read Jill Kaelin's take on one of my beloved mythical creatures (right up there with mermaids, I kid you not), I was excited, but cautiously so. I mean, really, how are you going to do YA about unicorns that doesn't involve a stable and possibly gallivanting through a high-fantasy background?
Well, Kaelin did it. Chronicling the thirteenth life of a modern day teenage girl, Skye, Jill Kaelin's novel Hunted: Cycle Thirteen Book 1 reintroduces the anthropomorphic unicorn and their unusual mystical powers in a story which creates urgency and an appreciation for the finer points of the unicorn mythos, such as the strong link between unicorns and virginity with a nod to Skye's purity ring and the notion that most unicorns are created, not born.


If you love tales of unicorns, shapeshifters, classic myths reimagined for today, and a good old fashioned girl meets boy meets insurmountable odds and no small amount of danger, it's a good book for you.







Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

Dorothy Dreyer said...

I have to admit I've never read a unicorn novel. I did see The Last Unicorn though. I think I even remember the theme song. ;) Great review!