Saturday 24 May 2014

Review: These Broken Stars, by Megan Spooner and Amie Kaufman

I didn't mean to read it twice, and I certainly didn't intend to read it twice in the space of two nights. Nonetheless, These Broken Stars stunned me with it's pacing, detail, energy, humanity, originality, and depth of character development. Having just come down off a whirlwind YA Sci-Fi high induced by reading Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress in short succession, I didn't expect to be impressed, but instead I was absolutely transported into a different world.
I can't recommend this book highly enough, and am putting it on the short list of my favorite books. Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner come together to tell a beautifully constructed tale from the shifting perspectives of Tarver, a quick thinking military hero and Lilac, a seemingly spoiled rich girl, both of whom have a lot more to them that one would think on first glance. Filled with genre bending twists that will leave you wondering how the authors can keep moving the ball forward, which they do with unrelenting momentum, I recommend reading These Broken Stars when you have the time to devote to it, because you aren't going to want to put it down.
This is one of the best books I've plucked off my library's shelf this spring.
As a side note, although These Broken Stars is, alas, the first in a series, it has the closure of a stand alone, and that made my heart happy.
Go forth, read it. Indulge in survivalist adventures in beautiful alien landscapes with echoes of Marion Zimmer Bradley' Darkover Series, and just enjoy it


    

.Sandra Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

Debra Purdy Kong said...

Sounds really good. I'll give it a try.

Slee said...

It surprised me in a lot of good ways.