Monday 18 February 2013

Interview with Michelle Franklin

Author Michelle Franklin is here to talk to us about her novel, KHANTARA.

Welcome, Michelle! Tell us about yourself.

I am a small woman of moderate consequence who writes many, many literary fantasy books involving giants, romance, and chocolate. I'm a rather boring woman in life, but that only gives me permission to be more interesting on the page. I'm meant to be read and not seen anyway. I am also excessively sarcastic, but never serious, and I do my utmost to be as quiet and polite as possible when being forced to leave the commons. I adore people, but am not fond of the public. Such is an author's burden: to be a hermit and a crone, blessed with all the joys of unquietness.

How long have you been writing?

I have been writing since grade 4. The very first story I wrote was about cat people and it was rather atrocious, but from there I moved on to writing novels. I wrote my first novel in grade 7, which was a historical fantasy about Irish immigrants coming to Ellis Island. It was also quite horrid, but here is where I began to understand the discipline of writing every day. I wrote in class, out of class, at home, while I was supposed to be studying, on my washroom floor, in the attic, etc. Eventually, I won some prestigious old thing for best story and then won four literary awards in my county. I haven't missed a day of writing in fifteen years.

Tell us about KHANTARA: VOLUME 1. What’s the story about?

Khantara is a Haanta conqueror, meant to wage war and rule over the enemy nation of Thellis, but after vanquishing Thellis and occupying a construction of a Haanta outpost, he meets Anelta, a woman enslaved by her own people bearing a brand of servitude on her neck. Khantara contrives to save her from a cruel home and bring her to the refuge his people can provide, but how can he do so successfully when the eyes of Thellis are upon him?

Do you have a critique group/partner or beta readers, or do you self-edit?

I have three editors: one for content, one for line edits, and another for both, just as a fail safe. I type quickly and have difficulties with my eyes, so I have a few people to help me with mistakes.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I pretend to plot books, and then I laugh at myself and just write it as it comes.

What’s the hardest part of writing for you?

Stopping.

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?

Tea, dark chocolate, all the accouterments that I have received from readers over the years.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

My humble thanks to my publisher for putting up with me, to all the readers for enjoying the series, and to Twisk for making all the wonderful artwork for the series while being paid in pancakes and hugs.

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

You can find the book online at these retailers:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Book Depository
Books-A-Million
Booktopia
Diesel
Indiebound
iTunes
Kobo
Powell's
Smashwords
Sony Reader Store

No comments: