Saturday 2 February 2013

Interview with Rhiannon Paille

Today we're chatting with author Rhiannon Paille about her novel, SURRENDER.

Welcome to We Do Write! Tell us a bit about yourself.

I read way too many books. I used to read non fiction, but a friend suggested a YA book to me and once I started I couldn't stop. I'm always looking for a good book, whether it's contemporary, fantasy, paranormal romance, dystopian or urban fantasy. My tastes vary widely depending on my mood.

And I do read minds. It's something I've been able to do since I was 16, but it took years to perfect. I consider myself a metaphysical therapist, and I help people with relationship problems most of the time.
How long have you been writing?

Tell us about SURRENDER. What’s the story about?

Here is the blurb:

How far would you go to save everything you ever loved?

Kaliel was warned about her love for the Ferryman. One day he will marry the land and leave Avristar forever. She doesn't listen, and because of what she is-- a Flame-- one of nine apocalyptic weapons, she sparks a war. In a desperate attempt to save her home and her love, Kaliel tries to awaken Avred, not knowing she may have to make the ultimate sacrifice

How did the idea of the story come to you?

I’d love to say it comes from my genius mind, but it really doesn’t. I have a penchant for studying obscure things like Celtic and Norse myths, Buddhist, Hindu, Pagan traditions, witchcraft, metaphysics, parapsychology, ecopsychology, fairies, sacred geometry, sacred places, etc. I actually own a copy of the Bhagavad Gita, which is basically the Hindu bible.

I think that because I’m eccentric, my writing reflects that.

Why did SURRENDER become a love story?

I think it was always a love story. I’m a romantic at heart, watched Romeo & Juliet about fifty times (the Leonardo DiCaprio version) when I was a teen and I’ve lived my own tragic love story. Surprisingly enough, Surrender was a very natural place for me to start my writing career because I’m so familiar with the love story and the customs of Avristar.

Which authors do you personally love and look up to?

I’m a big Cassandra Clare fan. Her books taught me that my writing is good. I know that sounds weird, but until her I hadn’t read a YA book in third person, and was worried that what I had written wouldn’t stand up against other works. She taught me that I needed to throw the rule book out the window and write the way I write and trust myself.

I also look up to Julie Kagawa, because of her excellent Iron Fey series, which blends the otherworld with this world, and makes the perfect connection between the Faery world and Earth. I also love her for Mag Tuireadh and how she’s effortlessly woven Celtic Myth into her books. I’m working on that for The Ferryman + The Flame, it just takes time.

What's the weirdest thing you've googled?

No, much better is the weirdest thing someone asked me to read . . . the potency of horse semen. The client was trying to figure out which of her horses would make a champion stallion. So yeah . . . I had to analyze . . . that, but thank God I didn't have to touch any or take it to a lab or something.

Finish this sentence: If I'm not writing, I'm probably ...

Reading minds, singing karaoke, and burning cookies.

Here’s the part where you thank the people who are supporting you. Let's hear your shout outs.

Well I need to shout out to AshMarie De La Rosa from Paranormal Reads, Frankie Rose, Jennifer LaJambe, Amy Young, Robyn Leanne Smith, and Stephanie McFadden. There are others like Natasha M. Heck and Cory Putman Oakes, but yeah . . . I have a great group!

And finally, where can people find you and your books online?

SURRENDER
http://amzn.to/VMdCJG
LANTERN & POISON
http://amzn.to/U73Apl
JUSTICE
http://amzn.to/W9ommv

Follow Me: TwitterFacebookBlogWebsite

No comments: